Monday, June 10, 2013

Father's Day Storytime






Happy Father's Day! Check out these cute photo's of Dads reading to their children http://www.readaloud.org/contest.html



Need more inspiration to read to your child? Check out The Reading Promise: My father and the books we shared, by Alice Ozma, which chronicles a father and daughter's streak for reading-out-loud sessions each night.












Opening Song: The More We Get Together
*We sing and clap to our opening song.  All Stillwater Public Library story times start with this song and the children learn that song means story time is starting.

The more we get together
Together, together
The more we get together
The happier we'll be
Cause your friends are my friends
And my friends are your friends
The more we get together
The happier we'll be



Book: A Perfect Father's Day by Eve Bunting

Song: Do you love me? (to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)

Tell me Daddy is it true,
Do you love me like I love you?
Do you love me if I'm bad?
Do you love me if I'm mad?
Yes my darling, I sure do!
Now and always I love you.



Book: My Father Knows the Names of Things by Jane Yolen

Rhyme:  Daddy is my friend

Daddy is my special friend,
The two of us are close.
I always like the things we do
And I love him the most!



Book:  Me and My Dad! by Alison Ritchie

Craft:  Gift for Dad
We made a picture flower out of a cupcake holder, craft stick and paper leaves.  The children can add a picture at home to the center of the cupcake holder before giving it to Dad.

Beyond Storytime: Links to several activities related to Father's Day  http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/fathers-day/

 
Other books to check out:
Poems for Fathers Easy 811.5 Poe
Don't Let Go! by Jeanne Willis
The Daddy Goose Treasury by Vivian French
Piggy and Dad Go Fishing by David Martin
 

1 comment: