Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Manners Storytime




Manners can be tricky to teach young children especially as certain behaviors are allowed one setting but discouraged in another setting.  However, there are plenty of humorous and lively books that make learning manners fun.
As a reminder we ask that children visiting the library use soft/inside voices, only walking feet, and respect the books and computers while having fun!

Opening Song: The More We Get Together
*We sing and clap to our opening song.  All Stillwater Public Library story times start with this song and the children learn that song means story time is starting.

The more we get together
Together, together
The more we get together
The happier we'll be
Cause your friends are my friends
And my friends are your friends
The more we get together
The happier we'll be.



Book: Time to say "Please!" by Mo Willems


Song: Manners (sung to I'm a Little Teapot)
I have super manners. Yes, I do.
I can say "Please," and "Thank you," too.
When I play with friends, I like to share.
That's the way I show I care!









Book: The Bear Who Shared by Catherine Rayner

Song: Share your toys (sung to Row, row, row, your boat)
Share, share, share your toys,
share them with your friends
It's so much fun to share your toys,
sharing has no end.



Book: Nobunny's Perfect by Anna Dewdney

Craft: We made the "Keys to Manner" by coloring out keys that listed out some key words to know: Thank you, You are welcome, Please, and Excuse me.

Beyond Storytime:
Activities to teach children manners: http://www.livestrong.com/article/86630-activities-teach-children-manners/  Having a fancy dinner sounds particularly fun, especially when paired with a reading of Fancy Nancy books!



Other books to checkout:
Manners by Aliki
Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur by Judy Sierra
Emily's Magic Words: Please, Thank you, and more by Cindy Post Senning & Peggy Post
Don't Slam the Door! by Dori Chaconas

 

No comments:

Post a Comment